Stavros Stylianidis

He was born in Gialousa, Famagusta province, on March 21, 1927. 
(Gialousa is currently Turkish – occupied )

 He was killed on August 18, 1957 in the village of Episkopiou, Nicosia province, by a bomb explosion.

Stavros Stylianidis finished primary school in Gialousa and settled in Nicosia with his mother and sister. His father had died when he was an infant. He threw himself into biowrestling from a very young age and was very risky. He was an amateur with gunpowder and weapons. With the beginning of the struggle he joined an executive team in Nicosia and devoted himself to the manufacture of all kinds of explosive objects. The bomb placed on the bed of English Governor Harding on March 20, 1956 was of his own invention and construction, constructed in such a way as to be applied to the abdomen of the fighter who carried it under a corset. He was wanted very early and was in hiding, continuing to plot the execution of the English governor Harding and the English commander of Nicosia Clemens.

In May 1956 he had under his responsibility the villages of Lythrodontas, Mathiatis, Agia Varvara, Alhambra, Nissou, Pera Chorio, Dali, Potamia, Lymbia, Latsia and Geri in the Orini sector. During the Anglo-French offensive against Suez, when French troops were stationed near Pyroi, Stylianides’ group under the same leader managed to take a number of weapons from French hoplites, including a large anti-tank gun with 60 rounds, which hid for a long time. But later it was discovered by the English near Lythrodonta.

After the death of Afxentiou, with the annexation to the Orini sector and the villages of the Machira region, the sector was divided into sub-sectors and Stavros Stylianidis took over as sub-sector head the area of the villages of Kliros-Malountas-Deuteras and as the head of the rebel groups of the Orini sector.

Stavros Stylianidis was a member of Olympiakos Nicosia football club and during the attacks by Turkish mobs against the associations’ office, he joined the defense of the building. 

On August 16, 1957, a high-powered mine that he was building exploded in his hands outside his hideout, in the village of Episkopeio, seriously injuring him and seriously injuring his two assistants. His competitors managed to take him to a doctor and hide the two wounded children, tricking the English officer in charge of the Deuteras police station, who immediately rushed to the village of Episkopiou, when the terrifying explosion was heard.

Stylianides died in two days saying: 

“I am dying for the union of Cyprus with Greece.”

After the struggle, several monuments where constructed for the hero: