Charalambos Filippidis

He was born in the village of Arodes, Paphos district, in 1939.

He died from torture by English interrogators, in an interrogation center in Pafos, on October 11, 1958.

His mother died while bringing him into the world and shortly after she was followed to the grave by her husband and father. The upbringing of her two children was undertaken by her mother Evanthia Averkiou. Charalambos finished the primary school of Arodes, attended the Hellenic High School of Paphos until the fourth grade and continued his studies for six months at the Technical School of Leros. Later he opened his own shop in Paphos and worked as a plumber.

With the beginning of the struggle , he joined EOKA and belonged to the executive of the city of Paphos. He took part in many actions of the executioner in Paphos, but also in his village where he developed an action by throwing locally made bombs against English soldiers. After each dangerous mission, he would flee to the guerrilla town of Pafos and stay for a while with the rebels in their mountain hideouts.

Charalambos Filippidis, at the behest of EOKA, attempted, together with his fellow competitor Georgios Yagou-Geortzis, to execute an officer of the Crime Investigation Department, who was one of the torturers at the interrogations of the Paphos Auxiliary Corps Center. The officer was wounded in the head but survived.

After the attempt, house arrest was imposed.

Filippides had permission to move around, because he worked at the English barracks in Dasaki, Paphos, and could not fail to show up for work. He was arrested and identified in a reconnaissance group by Turkala, who lived in a house near the place where the attempt was made. He was brought to court but acquitted due to doubts about Turkala’s testimony.

“Two or three days after his acquittal,” testifies his fellow competitor Georgios Yagou-Tsiorgzis, “I saw him sitting outside the cafe in Paphos. Two English officers, together with the son of the officer who received our attack, a policeman himself, approached him and arrested him. The next day there was a rumor that he escaped and we never saw him again.”

In the official announcement of the British about his disappearance, the claim was made that Charalambos Filippidis escaped, while being led to a hideout of EOKA fighters and that the authorities were looking for him.

A monument was erected for the hero, next to the local church.